[Bloganuary is hosted by WordPress. A new topic is presented each day during January.]
I gave up making New Year’s resolutions a long time ago. Maybe because I never kept them any better than the resolutions I made at any other time of year. I also don’t stay up until midnight anymore. The arrival of the New Year finds its way without my shouts of “Happy New Year,” and when I wake in the morning it will still be January 1.
But I have an ongoing list of ways I try to improve that I keep in mind throughout the whole year:
- Be kind, as much as I can, to both people I know and strangers I don’t know.
- Move around more and eat better.
- Socialize more. Because I’m an introvert, my first inclination is to stay home, content in my own world with just my dogs and husband for company.
- Revise and polish some of the rough drafts of stories and essays that I’ve written.
- Understand and use commas better.
- Remember that it’s okay to make time to do the things that I want to do.
The New Year gives us a chance to reflect and start again, to make resolutions and become better people. But any other day of the year can be a good day to reflect and start again, to make resolutions. So, Happy New Year throughout 2023, for today and any other day that you may need it the most.